- I believe that I am special. I am the most important person I know.
- I believe in a drug-free body that leads to a free mind.
- I believe I should respect my fellow man, and be a good citizen.
- I believe in strength and unity.
- I believe I should trust in God.
- I believe in setting goals and believing in myself.
- I believe I should have dreams of positive mental attitude to be successful.
- I believe in treating people the way I like to be treated.
- This is my creed I want to achieve so help me God.
This creed was developed by about 20 Youth-On-The_Move, Inc. youth members in 1987 with the assistance of a senior mentor (age 71 at the time), Dr. Clarice Isaac (Hall of Famer ’94). Each student had a turn in saying what he/she believed in – after spending about one hour combining and revising their beliefs, they came up with this creed.
Youth-on-the-Move, Inc. (YOMI)
- To offer additional help to school-age youth in the areas of mathematics, reading, spelling, science. self-esteem building, cultural histories and computers.
- To help improve multicultural relations among youth, their families, the community and the schools.
- To serve as a liaison between the family and the school in order to improve the home/school relationships and student performances in the academic and social world. we work with parents/guardians, students, the community, the church, businesses, law enforcement agencies, role models and schools to reach this goal.
- To train and encourage youth to be ambassadors of the YOMI spirit and mission wherever they go.
- To train youth to be PEER TUTORS and ROLE MODELS, reaching back out to positively help other youth in academic areas.
- To assist schools in carrying out their goals and plans for effectiveness.
OUR MAJOR PURPOSE IS TO WORK WITH STUDENTS ALREADY IN SCHOOL (grades 1-8), BUT OTHERS ARE WELCOME
Talent in the Arts
To help develop the artistic abilities and creativity in YOMI youth
To identify youth who have artistic talents
To promote, expose and refer artistically talented YOMI youth (budding performing and/or visual artist/video producers) to public and private agencies
To produce talented YOMI youth (whenever possible)
To expose YOMI youth to the arts of various cultures
To promote the use of the arts for learning and problem solving
To promote and produce at least two major artistic performances each year
To encourage interaction among a wide variety of youth, adults, community organizers, business and others who have been interested in the arts (performing/visual video)